WELCOME ADDRESS BY RT. HON. (ELDER) SHERIFF F.O. OBOREVWORI (JP) FICMC, HONOURABLE SPEAKER, DELTA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY AT THE YEAR 2022 BUDGET PRESENTATION BY HIS EXCELLENCY, SENATOR DR. IFEANYI OKOWA, GOVERNOR OF DELTA STATE
It is my honour and privilege to welcome His Excellency, Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, our Governor, Members of State Executive Council and other Members of his team to the Hallowed Chamber of the Delta State House of Assembly, for the presentation of the year 2022 Budget.
- Let me also welcome our former Speakers and Members of previous Assemblies of the House who are here present to witness this epoch making ceremony. You have always stood by us in all our ceremonies and we appreciate immensely your support to the House.
- We cannot thank enough our Party Leaders and Elders ably led by the State PDP Chairman Olorogun Barr. Kingsley Esiso. We thank you for being part of the budget presentation ceremony for year 2022.
- And above all, we thank God Almighty for making today a reality and for His manifold blessings for the Leaders and People of our dear State.
- Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, today we are gathered here in fulfillment of the provisions of Section 121 sub-section (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as altered); which provides that “the Governor will cause to be prepared and laid before the House of Assembly at any time before the commencement of each financial year estimates of the revenues and expenditure of the State for the next following year”.
- You will recall that this same month in 2020, the Governor presented the year 2021 budget tagged “Budget of Recovery” before the House. It was a budget of recovery because the economy of the World was facing challenges as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic that disrupted global trade and production of goods and services across the World. Our State was not immune from the attendant economic shock.
- Your Excellency sir, there is no doubt year 2021 has been very challenging as a result of the continued effect of the Covid-19, adverse market forces on our crude oil, erratic forex exchange rate and unconscionable inflation.
- However, and in spite of the challenges, we must commend Your Excellency for the Laudable Projects and infrastructural developments in the State within the period under review. In this year 2021, the State Government has established three Universities in the State. These are: Dennis Osadebay University, Anwai-Asaba; University of Delta, Agbor; and Delta State University of Science and Technology, Ozoro. This is unprecedented in the history of the country.
- Your Excellency, we want to commend you for the completion and commissioning of roads and other physical infrastructural developments across the three Senatorial Districts of the State. On behalf of our constituents, we also wish to thank you for the several skills acquisition programmes and start up packs you have made available for Deltans and other residents.
- Delta State enjoys enormous peace because your administration is running a transparent and accountable system of government where everybody is important no matter his or her status. Your choice of dialogue as a tool in the development and growth of the State is highly commendable.
- On this note Your Excellency, I want to assure you that the Legislature will continue to support your policies and programmes for the sustained development of the State. We will continue to cooperate with the Executive while also maintaining our powers as a House.
- Honourable Colleagues, ladies and gentlemen, I believe that the year 2022 Budget His Excellency, Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, is here to present will consolidate the gains of the 2021 Budget. There is no doubt in my mind that the budget will enhance the welfare and security of our people and the State in general.
- Finally, on behalf of Honourable Members, I wish to thank His Excellency, the Governor, for his support to the House. It is on record that Delta State is among the first States in the country where Bills for Financial Autonomy for State Legislatures and Judiciary were passed and assented to.
- Let me assure His Excellency that the Delta State House of Assembly is willing and will continue to partner with the other Arms of Government to achieve the Stronger Delta Vision of your administration.
- Once again, I thank you all for coming and for your kind attention.
- God bless you.
Rt. Hon. (Elder) Sheriff F.O. Oborevwori (JP) FICMC
Delta State House of Assembly